Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cross Compilation 1

Cross? I was bloody livid.

This blogging stuff is difficult to keep up with isn't it? One of the things I've been working on and
not posting about is trying to carry out cross compilation for my Western digital myBook. So I'd like to be able to, for example, download the sourcecode for lightppd, compile it on a faster processer and then install on the MyBook. Now it may be possible to just download the code and try

make CROSS-COMPILE=arm

or something, but it seems the way to do things is to download buildroot and create an entire rootfs which matches that on the MyBook. Confused? I know I am.

I've attempted this twice already and achieved nothing. So I'm trying again and documenting my progress this time. This time I have identified the GPL code provided by Western Digital (as they seem to be obliged to do under the GPL) This includes the copy of buildroot they used to create the MyBook disk image, the linux header files they used and all the packages they used, including their busybox setup. They also include some of the necesary config files, but not all, and I think this is where the 'magic' happens and where I'm likely to continue cursing and swearing for the next few months.

So, progress so far.

  1. Buy a new laptop. This isn't strictly necessary but I found a bargain. Acer Aspire 5630 with 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo T5500 for £299.
  2. Install VMWare server, free from vmware.
  3. Download ubuntu server 8.04
  4. With ubuntu running, ensure we have the latest versions of gcc and binutils and such.
  5. Download the Western Digital myBook GPL Source Code
I've untarred the files and am now following instruction from this chap but may need create my own config files (for buildroot, the linux kernel and busybox). I'm up to make menuconfig and it's time to take a break...

No comments: