Monday, August 4, 2008

Cross Compilation 2

Ha! I almost typed cross copulation there! That would have been funny?

Right this was too easy. After a few trip ups

  1. Needed to install flex, bison and patch (via apt-get of course)
  2. ubuntu links /bin/sh to the dash shell which was causing a syntax error: bad fd number(?) so I changed the softlink to use bash instead of dash.
  3. Copied all the directories under buildroot-patches/packages and buildroot-patches/patches into buildroot/package
  4. I was getting the following error message: "arm-linux-uclibc-ld: ERROR:/home/gordon/extract/buildroot/build_arn_nofpu/lib/gcc/arm-linux-uclibc/3.4.2/libgcc.a(_dvmd_lnx.o)uses hardware FP, whereas ld-uClibc-0.9.28.so uses software FP" so altered one of the FPU settings under make menuconfig to not use a hardware FPU. (It looked like my original config file from last night had been overwritten as some other settings were lost). A new call to make seemed to revuild everything.
and it worked!? I have a rootfs.arm_nofpu.ext2 file of type "Linux rev 0.0 ext2 filesystem data". Of course it can't really have worked. Can it? It was entirely too fast, I'm convinced my kernel config is still not done and... well it worked. I never got anywhere near this point on the last two attempts and was expecting this to take weeks!

Anyway, finding out how to mount this image as a filesystem is something I need to research so this seems as good a palce to stop for the night as any. I'm sure it's simple but it's a new step to start tomorrow. Oooh, the anticipation!

I bet it's empty.

No comments: